August 19, 2009

Urban Usonian

I love this flat, designed by Owner/Photographer, Kent Dayton and Architecture Firm Grant Studio. Naturally, being a lover of the mid-century modern design movement and colors - this photo drew me into the article immediately. What I found was an amazingly utilitarian, minimalist, color brilliant, transitional space. Dayton boldly makes efficient use of the small space, with a fold-away bed in his studio. A giant, sliding door separates the work/sleep area from the general living area when necessary, allowing for flexibility that traditionally designed homes do not have. Ascending ceiling heights as you move throughout the space can make the rooms feel spacious or intimate.

For a novice of Frank Lloyd Wright's work like I am, I was surprised to learn that Dayton's design was inspired by his philosophy.

Great article - I've already said too much, but I can't speak for the slideshow! Stunning!

No comments: