February 9, 2010

Antique Notions

bag of notions - $11 USD
It's no secret that one of my favorite pastimes is antiquing - and thrifting - and estate sales. I was indoctrinated to the world of once-loved belongings by my fabulous Grandma, Josephine. Grandma and I used to spend a lot of time together in my childhood - and there were a lot of amazing weekend afternoons spent at local antique malls, antique expo shows, and garage sales - whether shopping or selling. Even now, I feel like I'm with my Grandma when antiquing; and that feeling of being an explorer who has stumbled upon some ancient treasure still excites me.

As you may well know, antiquing can sometimes be a let down. You scour the cluttered shelves, tabletops, and cubbies for that special something that truly reminds you of something - even if you don't know what. You are overcome with a desire to own that something - again, perhaps. And then you look at the price tag. Sometimes, you get really lucky; but more often than not, the wind is blown out of your sails - and the piece is replaced to it's dusty shelves. You walk away from the antique store forlorn, knowing that little gem will collect dust for years to come.

Okay, so maybe it's not that dramatic or woeful for you. In fact, if it was so depressing, why would we ever go back? But I'm sure you've experienced that feeling on some scale - and had to walk away from said treasure trove empty-handed. But you don't have to leave all of the antiquities behind, to age and wither. Some antiques are truly affordable - and will fulfill that empty little spot inside every shopper. My personal favorite is antique linens and notions. Yesterday, in a belated birthday celebration just for me - I headed off to a town full of antique stores. And, my friends - I definitely scored well in the fabric department! Here are a few of the fabulous fat quarters I found - all for a dollar or less:

Seriously the cutest Eskimos I've ever seen!
Is it art? or is it just fabric? Amazing!
incredibly sweet baby dress - $1 USD!!

3 comments:

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Wow, amazing finds!! I also *love* antiquing (or thrifting, or yard-saleing, or any form of treasure hunting). My grandparents were antique dealers and my mom also loves hunting for gems. So, so fun.

cabin + cub said...

Great finds! I love antiquing and thrifting... always such a rush when I find something good!;)

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

I would love to have fabric like that...great finds! I'm going to start looking around for that at garage sales. There are tons of older people in our area so my chances might be good.

~Kim