January 28, 2010

Want versus Need

About a week or so ago, I decided to have a look-see at my favorite antique store in town. Mostly I prefer thrift stores to antique stores, because of the true reward that comes with finding a diamond in the rough. You really have to sift through countless amounts of useless, and sometimes smelly funky stuff in order to find an actual vintage gem. But I guess I was feeling 'lazy' the other day, and just wanted to be surrounded by gems, funk not included. A world of treasures was there to gaze upon, but there was one item that truly captured my heart: a 1924 L.C. Smith & Corona No.4 typewriter.


Here's a picture of one I found on Flickr, so you can understand why I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. But the one I discovered is even better than that little lovely up there. How? you might be asking, could it get any better? Because the one I stumbled upon is purple! I've already secretly begun calling her Lilac actually. I woefully walked away from this little machine, because I couldn't justify buying an antique typewriter at this point.

But it's quickly become an obsession. I started asking Jeff, my pseudo-hubbie, if he thought buying an antique typewriter was foolish. To my surprise, he quickly responded that using an old typewriter is, in his opinion, the secret to the Great American Novel. He has no idea how much trouble that little nugget of information may get him into...about $350 dollars of trouble if I have my way! I went to visit Lilac again today...just to see if she still gives me butterflies. It's definitely love. I want to have her, or is it need? Maybe I'll write the next Great American Novel. Or maybe, I'll just use Lilac to write the daily posts of the Great American Blog. Either way, I really think I have to have her.

2 comments:

cabin + cub said...

Oooh.. sounds like a great find! Maybe you can haggle a little to get it... you never know?

jenjems said...

See is they have a payment plan...I say go for it! She's purple!