It takes less than an hour (or maybe a bit more time if you are hand sewing) to stitch up this adorable velvet 'i heart hearts' headband! After I made the heart garland earlier today, I began to crave a stylish little something with hearts to wear...I've been meaning to attempt a headband for a while now (to keep my unruly bangs in check), and those hearts were just the inspiration I needed to set out.
To make this sweet and simple headband, you will need the following supplies (most of which you probably have on hand):
- 2" velvet ribbon in a rich red
- felt: i used a sparkly red and cotton candy pink - and since i didn't have wool felt on hand, just used the squares you find at the craft store.
- vintage cotton scraps, cut out into hearts
- coordinating all-purpose thread (or embroidery thread if sewing by hand)
- pink, scalloped elastic
- To get started, make two heart templates on paper, one large and one small.
- Using your templates, cut out hearts (one big, one small) from your vintage cotton.
- Using templates again, cut out hearts from the felt, but make both big and small hearts about 1/8" bigger all around.
- Pin the vintage cotton hearts on top of the felt hearts and sew.
- Use a sewing tape measure to determine the circumference of your noggin. We'll pretend it's 14". You'll want to cut the ribbon to be 10" and the elastic to be 4". Be sure and cut your ribbon with a "V" at the end so it looks pretty where the elastic attaches.
- Determine where you want to place your biggest heart, and pin. When sewing to the ribbon, try to trace the stitches you made when assembling the heart - this looks nicer.
- Place the smaller heart layered slightly atop your secure big heart. Sew.
- Secure the elastic to the ribbon with a pin, leave about 1/2" excess. The excess inch of elastic is to make sewing easier - you want the finished headband to be 13" so it's not loose when you wear it. Sew the elastic to the ribbon.
- Repeat with other end of the ribbon and elastic. Trim off the excess elastic.
- Wow! You're all done and you made a super-sweet headband! Wear and smile!